Friday, May 25, 2007

Home

We're enjoying a quiet weekend -- the kids are at Grandma's and M's getting used to being at home. It's a nice respite from the work week in TIRR's day program (9-4 M-F), where M will be through June 22 at least, working on various components of his recovery.


Considering all the dire consequences of severe injury to temporal and frontal lobes, M's recovery proceeds gratifyingly well. At home, M's been making breakfast - peanut butter toast - every now and then. Today, for the first time since February, M dressed himself from head to toe. It took an hour, but he did it all himself, with not a whole lot of prodding and coaching. His difficulty stems from weak motivation, a weak left side, and also a very stiff and out of shape body, too. All the heartening signs, though, show a healing brain and lots of hard work by M, his therapists, and me. The coaching is constant. Plus for various reasons, M and I get up several times a night, making for long, fatiguing days.


M's memory remains poor, though it is improving. His inflexible thinking, poor initiation, and dampened emotional affect remain areas for improvement. As M improves, though, I'll be constantly at hand, not just as a coach, supporter and loving spouse, but also as a security guard. If I'm in another room, M will stand up and walk to take care of things, not out of stubbornness, but because that's how he's always done it. Never mind that his balance and judgment remain unreliable and that everyone tells him NOT to get up without assistance.

We're blessed with lots of support, but the amount of help I need remains daunting. Help in errands, cooking, company for M, and more are all needed. I'm expecting now to work full time (i.e., to be officially unemployed) on M's recovery for at least a year or two. I'm convinced in my heart and from everything I've read and heard that his prognosis is best with strong support and help. I won't be able to shoulder this all on my own, though.

Please continue praying for M's complete physical, emotional, and cognitive recovery. I'll need strength and insight as will the children. Bless you all.