Sunday, April 15, 2007

Thanks for the works of art

I have had so much help from so many. Gal pals have piled out of their minivans (and trucks) to freshen up my yard for spring. Barbara has spent two Saturdays in a row moving furniture with me. Ashlyn showed up with fresh fruit and veggie from her co-op, food she and another member, Tina, have pitched in to provide for us.

Still more friends spent all Saturday ripping up the carpet in our bedroom, then sanding and refinishing the hardwood floor. Though the plywood patch (a full sheet of plywood) was an unpleasant surprise that we weren't able to alleviate for now, the concrete patching and other interesting "repairs" were removed nicely. Plus, I can no longer see down to the dirt under the house, thanks!

Thanks especially to Nathan and Darrin, who stayed until 11 p.m. working on the floor. And to Debby, who makes a mean chili cheese dog, times ten or so. And to Kristen, who left at 8:30 only to give our kids a quiet place to sleep, her house.

On Sunday, a bunch a guys we've known from our kids' school showed up to rip and pound the lumber Jim already had delivered earlier, all to make a beautiful ramp. Thanks Jim, Scott, Bill, and Wolfgang. Thanks too to your families who gave up a good part of the weekend with hubby or dad.

I should have jumped up and down at the results of your time and knowledge (and/or brute force). As gorgeous as the ramp is -- fitting perfectly in style with our house and deck -- it hurts to see it out my kitchen window. It's such a present reminder of things having changed. M said it perfectly today when I told him what was going on at the house today (he remembers all you guys). He said he thought you wouldn't mind if he doesn't use the ramp. I agree; I don't think you will.