Friday, April 13, 2007

Caregiving

About half the time now, I hang out in Mark's speech sessions. He speaks very well, but the therapist also helps with cognitive issues such as organization and impulse control, all encompassed within the general term of "executive control." Mark almost entirely lacks these critical skills now and is constantly coached, when in therapy.

I'm glad to be able to participate and am grateful the therapist spoke at length with me about the value of my being there, not just as a caregiver, but actually helping with therapy.

The caregiver role has its own burdens and rewards. Tricia, who used to work with Mark, sent me this.

DEAR LORD, I THANK YOU!

By M. Lemmons

Dear LORD, when you chose me to be a caregiver, I doubted YOU had the right person for the job. I have since learned that YOU have bestowed many blessings on me, and I Thank YOU!

YOU blessed me by giving me the strength to face the challenges each new day brings. YOU blessed me by giving me each new day, and I thank YOU!

YOU blessed me by giving me the patience to be a caregiver, and I thank YOU!

YOU blessed me by showing me how to smile when I wanted to cry and didn't have the time, or the time was inappropriate, and I thank YOU!

YOU blessed me by teaching me to be tolerant of others weaknesses, and I thank YOU!

YOU blessed me by giving me a sense of humor to laugh at myself when I get confused, forgetful, or do something really dumb, and I thank YOU!

YOU blessed me by giving me the determination to do my best for the person I am caring for, and I thank YOU!

YOU blessed me by showing me the intensity of the love I have for the person I am caring for, and I thank YOU!

But most of all, YOU have blessed me by allowing the person I am caring for to stay in my life, and I thank YOU!